Wednesday 3 September 2008

iPod LCD Hack

If you need a display for your next project you could probably use one from a defective Apple iPod however after looking at the iPod LCD Hack details I think purchasing a display that has a simple interface may be the ticket in this case.

"Looking for a small, cheap LCD for a possibly large-scale project, I decided that the 2.5" QVGA TFT in the Ipod Video may be worth a look, as cheap clones of it are available from Hong Kong via Ebay.. Not finding any info on this unit on the net, I decided to investigate myself, & bought a faulty ipod on Ebay to dissect. The hard disk was dead, but I could get it into service test mode, which was all I needed to fiddle with the display to see how it was driven. This display should be drivable from most microcontrollers ( *I’ve not yet verfied that it can do 3.3v I/O. If not, you’ll need alot of resistors, or a level shifter), however the 16 bit data bus will need rather alot of I/O pins. If you’re running from something like a NXP LPC2xxx ARM processor, this may not be a big deal, and you may want the speed of the 16 bit bus."


No comments: