Sunday 14 September 2008

Top 5 Bad Tech Products

Don’t get me wrong, I love adding technology to things that don’t need it. I wouldn’t have made the LED fish lights otherwise :). But some of the commercial products that are coming out are making me roll my eyes. Here is my top 5 things that should not have been produced.

5) Knife with a USB drive. When I am looking to buy a pocket knife I want to know how long the blade is, how easy the scissors are to use and if it comes with a bottle opener. NOT how many Megabytes of capacity it has, data transfer speed and if a USB cable is included!!
4) Digital Pens. What is up with the digital pen? When I want to write a note I don’t want to care about system requirements, charged batteries, recognition accuracy! Sorry I couldn’t leave you a note because my pen had trouble syncing with my XP computer.
3) Internet Ready Appliances. The internet fridges seem to be catching on. Ok this product has a cool factor and if I had money to burn I could see myself getting one. But thinking practically, I couldn’t justify purchasing one. If I want to surf the internet I will use a computer not the fridge. If I want to listen to music I will use the stereo, not the fridge. I can imagine the slew of new excuses now… Sorry we ran out of milk, the fridge inventory database got corrupted a few days ago.
2) Pet Gadgets. Do our pets need their own cell phones and digital cameras? I remember a time when checking if your pet had enough water was enough now their are pet bowls that will ensure the quality of the water is up to par!
1) Toothbrush. Ok this is one product that does not need a built in computer. A plastic stick with bristles stuck in one end is fine for me. Adding some water and some motorized movement is an improvement to the standard. But who is the marketing team that is thinking we want or need a computer in our tooth brush? I think we have gone too far when our toothbrush has multiple computer controlled settings and a downloadable user guide! What is next 24 hour tech support?

No comments: